Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Day 9

We left whatever little town in Washington we spent the night in and headed for Bellingham after a good night’s sleep.

It turned out that we’d driven further than originally planned on Day 8, so instead of having two or three hours of driving to Bellingham, we had less than one. Hurray! It was much less stressful this way, not having to worry about whether or not we would be on time to catch the ferry.

Just outside of the city we stopped at Blanchard Mountain Coffee company for coffee. Actually we stopped for gas and a bathroom break, but this is Washington, after all, so no one was surprised to see a drive through espresso shop. I got an Americano, which is always a little bit of a risk, but it is incredible. Although I just found out there are three shots of espresso in it instead of my usual two shots. That could have something to do with it…


When we arrived in Bellingham, it looked much like I’d remembered. It’s a cute little town built on the hillside with lots of adorable shops downtown within walking distance of the ferry terminal. It was all a little too “hipster” for John, but I really enjoyed it.





One of my friends I met on an online pastor’s wives forum, Kelsey, drove down from Canada with her family to hang out with us. It was so fun to meet her in person and get to meet her kids and husband too! They spent a lot of the day with us and helped the time pass by much more quickly. Any guesses as to how easy it is to keep two active boys contained and quiet in one building for hours?


Haha. Yeah.


We got in our truck to be ready to drive on at three and were about twenty minutes early. We eventually discovered, however, that the ferry people have you ready way before it’s actually time. Part of the reason we waited so long may have been because of where we are getting off—they seemed to have organized the cars somewhat by destination, which makes logical sense. Sometime after five—five thirty, maybe? Maybe a little before—we drove onto the ferry, grabbed the kids and our luggage, and headed up the stairs.







(Above is the view from our cabin window. It's the center of the boat--cool, huh?)



(Do you see this tent? That's how some people sleep on the ferry. On the deck. In a tent.

I love Alaska.





John loved the first night on the ferry. Josh was excited to board but once we got on he wanted to go back to the dock. And me? If you know me you know that I’m really not good at trying new things (even new-ish—since I’ve done this before) without being nervous about something, so I struggled with that the first day. We had a delicious 4th of July dinner in the dining room here (which is super nice!!) and then put the boys (and me) to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment