Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Day 5


We started today in Sidney, Nebraska. Not too far out of town we saw a random coyote in a field, which was fun. That’s the second I’ve seen this trip (I think I forgot to mention the one in Kansas). The landscape around this part of Nebraska is beautiful in a rugged way. Very “out west” feeling. We saw a lot of trains, which Josh loved, of course.

This part of the west and the plains make me think of the trip John and I took to Montana in 2008 to interview at a church there. We didn’t take the job because we didn’t feel like that was the church for us (nor were we the couple they needed), but still…I love this part of the country and so does John, and we loved the people at that church, so everytime I’m somewhere that looks like Eastern Montana I feel this weird combination of excitement at what it would be like to move out there, maybe a hint of regret that we didn’t when we had the chance, and eventually the knowledge that God intentionally didn’t send us out there, so it’s okay we aren’t there. It is beautiful country, though.

I made a note in my notebook that we’d seen six antelope, but honestly, we’ve seen at least thirty more since then, so I’m not going to keep an exact antelope count anymore. Haha. I did see one with antlers, standing on the top of a hill looking very “king of the mountain.”

The landscape out here is made of rough, tufty grass, low bushes, and grey rock. Something about uninviting, rugged land looks like home to me. Maybe it’s my love for Alaska, which is gorgeous, breathtaking, and inhospitable all at the same time?

The tall grass here really did look like ocean waves. I followed the wind while it blew through the tops of the grass and it waved in the sun. It was really cool looking. It’s just something I’m sure I’ve heard described, but I didn’t realize how accurate the description was before and I certainly didn’t realize something so mundane as grass could be so beautiful.

I’d like to tell you that the way I was able to enjoy the sight of that waving grass was an indication that I was a happy traveler this morning, but honestly I was started to get a bit grumpy at our lack of progress. One particular stretch that should have taken an hour and a half took us two  and a half hours, and while I know that traveling is different with kids, we’ve traveled with them before, so this just seemed extreme to me. Even though we can’t catch the ferry until a certain date, I just somehow felt the need to hurry.

I feel that a lot, I’ve realized.

When we saw a sign for “the best coffee you’ve ever tasted” I think we took it as a bit of a challenge. Like, we had to try this coffee and see if they were anywhere close to correct in their boasting. We needed gas anyway, so we pulled off the road in Laramie, Wyoming. The coffee shop wasn’t near the interstate, which made me cringe a little because we just don’t explore towns. We pull over, we get what we need, we leave. The end. But my dad drove to the coffee shop, Coal Creek Coffee Company. Downtown Laramie was adorable. ADORABLE. I’m not sure how to describe it. For one thing, it had a beautiful view of the mountains, which were still dotted with snow. It was also clean and alive looking. Think classic western town, but with murals on some of the buildings (cute ones), and a hint of the culture of Savannah, Anchorage, or Asheville. Somehow the vibe was familiar to me, and it was just civilized enough and just frontier enough to make me feel at home. The coffee shop itself was a combination of industrial and cozy, with the kind of atmosphere that made you want to sit in a table by the window and read a book. Or maybe write. Oh, the books I could write there…It reminded me very much of Gallery Espresso in Savannah, which is one of my favorite coffee shops.

That stop made me remember that if we’d wanted to go fast, we would have flown. Driving isn’t just about avoiding being 35,000 feet above the ground (although I appreciate that part of it). It’s about enjoying the journey.

So I sipped my French roast coffee, sat back in my seat in the car, and watched the dark blue and snowy mountains and the rolling Wyoming landscape pass by outside of my window.

And I enjoyed the journey.


I’ve decided I’m moving to Laramie, Wyoming. In case anyone wants to visit…

Not far west of Laramie we passed two would-be hitchhikers. One had a guitar and one had a drum, so if you ever want to pick up musical hitchhikers, apparently this is the place to do it.

We also stopped at a rest stop near Elk Mountain. The wind there was intense. We read on a sign that it can get up to 70mph there. It wasn’t that bad today, but it was enough that we held onto the kids tightly. Haha. We ate lunch there, then got the boys to go to sleep, and continued across Wyoming on I-80.

We made it all the way to end of Wyoming, Evanston, and the entire drive through Wyoming was gorgeous. The mountain views, the wide expanses (although I don't think the sky is as big as Montana's...)...This was a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sarah, John and Family,

    I'm one of your father-in-law's college roommates, that era from the previous century. For the record, Ron graduated on time, got drafted into the Army and went on to..... Well, you pretty much know the story from that point on. I found your blog from Nita and Ron's Facebook page, so here I am, reading with envy about your transcontinental journey. I'll keep reading for inspiration and motivation to make a better record of a lengthy car trip my wife and I are planning for the early fall. Our goal is to motor from our home in Northern Virginia, up into Canada, and then west as far as Lake Louise in the Rockies. From there we will turn south for Missoula, Mont., then to Park City, Utah, and finally eastward back to the land of the confounded federal government's headquarters and things we come to know and appreciate after living on the East Coast for more than three decades. Your writing style is a treat. All the best to you and your family. Safe travels for all of your journey.
    David Super

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, David! I think the trip y'all have planned sounds great too--make sure you write everything down! Even just a couple of weeks into this, I can look back at the early days of the trip and find things I forgot but that I wrote down and I'm so glad I did. Have fun on your trip--I hear Lake Louise is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete