Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Day 7

We spent Day 7 in Idaho with friends. From my friend Rachael’s house, we took a “quick” walk to Walmart. It was a mile there and a mile back, which reminded me that they’re from Alaska. Haha. Don’t get me wrong, it actually was fun walk, and not too long. It was just longer than I expected. People where I’m from in Georgia don’t really walk anywhere. At least no one I know really walks to get anywhere. We may take walks, but most of the people I know take a car if they have a destination in mind. I don’t know if it’s the heat/humidity or just the lifestyle in general, but people out here walk more (and further). So that was fun, but just a reminder that mindsets are so different.

In other news, I am planning to do some fun blog posts after our trip with what I’m calling my “Vacation Induced Resolutions.” When we drove to Alaska in 2011 I made a list in the RV on the way home of things I had decided I wanted to do differently because of our trip. Some of these were things that the people we stayed with did, and some were things from Alaska in general. For instance, there are so  many pretty flowers around the city, so I decided that despite my black thumb, I wanted to have some pretty flowers at my house. I did plant pansies earlier this year, so it only took me three. Haha. But things like that. This year one I’ve already made a note of is the toy storage at Rachael’s house—the toys were cleaned up so fast there! And in my house it takes so much longer, so I think there’s something I can do to make that better…anyway, I’m planning to make a huge list and share it in August, probably. I’m liking this whole blogging thing, so I think keeping up with it will be on my list too.

From Rachael’s, we drove to her parents’ house in Fruitland, Idaho. The Fosses have been our friends for fourteen years, which is a long time especially when you consider how often my family has moved. Being with them was like being with family—it didn’t matter that a decade and a half had passed since we spent time together regularly. We all just fell back into our normal routines, although some things have changed with time. Rachael’s siblings have all grown up and now the little kids running around were our kids. We had a fabulous time just being together, swimming, eating incredible homemade icecream, drinking insane amounts of coffee (one of the things that cements our friendship), and playing Apples to Apples until way too late into the night.


I was too busy having fun to get many pictures on this day--but I think there may be some on my Facebook if Rachael tagged me in them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment