This is a book you'll be happy you bought.
I requested a copy of A Beautiful Mess: Happy Handmade Home to review and watched eagerly for it in the mail, partially because I was excited to read it, and partially because I was curious--with the ease of accessing design blogs, not to mention Pinterest, I wondered about whether or not a book about decorating, especially handmade decorating, would be something that would seem just as valuable as it would have fifteen years ago, before the world was so tech savvy.
Honestly? This book is still totally relevant. I loved holding it in my hands, flipping through it and reading the author's notes on how they believe you should decorate. Some of the layout--white pages with square pictures--definitely brings up thoughts of Pinterest, but it was a good thing actually. I love Pinterest as much as the next girl, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much more relaxing it was to hold this book and flip through it that it was to spend time dreaming about decorating and learning about it online.
Maybe it's because it's easier to sip coffee and read this book. Maybe it's because there's something nostalgic about the weight of a book in your hands that makes creative juices flow more easily. It could have been the author's unique suggestions (like forget decorating rules and do what you love!), but this book was a completely enjoyable, relaxing experience. It's one I plan to hang on to for inspiration, and one I'm very much glad I sat down to read.
I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I love flipping though pages too and there is something nostalgic about holding a book. :)
ReplyDelete