I haven't said anything because it almost feels like tragedy, especially when it's widespread, especially when it's as heartbreaking as some of those our country has experienced lately, shouldn't be spoken of other than to say "we're sorry."
I don't like it when people use tragedies for agendas. And I hope and pray this doesn't come across that way. I'm completely agenda-less here. But I want people to realize something.
Teachers care about their students.
A few months ago, a teacher died for her students, literally laid down her life so that they could live, the very thing Jesus tells us is the greatest love anyone can have, in the Sandy Hook shootings. I cried when I saw her picture. I cried because she was so young. Because she did the right thing.
Because I could so easily have been in her shoes.
Anyone who has been a teacher has probably been forced, at one point or another, to consider the 'what-ifs'. To think through all of the unthinkable threats that could face their students and to wonder, to plan, what they would do. And for all of the mistrust of teachers these days, all of the assumptions that they're 'in it for the money' (haha!), almost every teacher I've ever met I believe eventually came to the same conclusion.
Teachers are responsible for their students. Sure, on paper, maybe their contract says they're responsible for the students' learning. But in their hearts, they feel responsible for their safety. For their lives. When I became a teacher, I knew that whatever happened, my number one goal was going to be to keep my students safe. And I'm not heroic by nature. It's just the way I knew it would have to be.
This Moore, Oklahoma tornado has brought more brave teachers to the forefront of public attention. And I believe they ARE heroes. For sure.
But you know what? I'm not surprised.
The idea that a teacher would lay her body on top of her students and pray that they'd be spared from the fury of an F-5 tornado? It seems completely natural. You know why?
Teachers. Love. Their. Students.
Let's honor these teachers for the heroes they are. Let's tell them thank you, let them know that we're watching and that they did the right thing. But as a nation, could we take this to heart? Maybe see that for each of these teachers who does have the occasion to prove that they'd lay down their lives for their students, there are hundreds--thousands more who (thankfully) will never be given the opportunity to prove such a thing, but who feel it in their hearts? Parents, can you know that almost every teacher your child has truly does care about him and they make the decisions they make in the classroom because it's what's best for your child? Can you acknowledge that we're on the same team?
Teachers everywhere--thank you. Thanks for your love, that covers a multitude of talking without permission, not-turned-in homework, episodes of plagiarism, and misbehavior. Thanks for caring about the people these kids are.
Teachers in Oklahoma--thank you. Your love for these kids has shown them and has shown a nation what love really is. I pray for you in your recovery from this tornado, and thank you for the testament you are to a whole profession of people whose immense love for kids sometimes goes unnoticed.
No comments:
Post a Comment