Sunday, June 29, 2014

Day 2


Please forgive the fact that you're getting these several days after the fact. We haven't found wifi since Day 1 (we're getting gas now and I jumped on the gas station's wifi!!!), so I'm a little behind. Also, my computer's battery appears to by dying, maybe permanently...but I am writing posts and you should see them eventually, don't give up! =)


Day 2 started out a little on the slow side—partially because we were in Mississippi (I’m not sure what that has to do with anything…but it does) and partially because I’d only had one cup of coffee. Hotel coffee. Aka: Theoretically-it-had-Caffeine-but-I’m-Not-Convinced Coffee.

I spent the next seven hours or so looking for coffee.

Eventually we found a Starbucks. Don’t worry.

Back to the beginning of the day. Not much happened. We passed a creek called Dancing Rabbit Creek, which I thought was a fun name. I’m filing that away to use in a story sometime…

Speaking of stories, I’m getting all kinds of writing/brainstorming done on this trip. Something about just driving through the country, looking out the window, is really good for creativity.

The boys seem to be having a decent time so far. We’re having some issues getting them to nap, which is resulting in very tired kiddos, but I think they’ll get it. At one point yesterday we saw a crop dusting plane really close to the road. Josh thought that was pretty awesome. When it disappeared from our view, we saw a train on the other side of the road. So pretty much that was a four year old boy’s dream vacation, right there. Planes and trains.

The southern part of Arkansas (which we finally got into after a brief trip through Louisiana—pretty bayous there!), is mostly rice patties and nothingness, but by the time we got to Little Rock, it was starting to feel like home. We lived in Conway for five years, and while that isn’t long in the grand scheme of things, we agreed that Arkansas still feels familiar and homey. That was nice to discover.

After lunch we passed from central Arkansas into Northern Arkansas. Ah, mountains! The Ozarks are beautiful, the way they gently roll and climb higher. The views from several points were amazing, and it looks almost like you could just walk across the tree tops. Those views were probably my favorite part.

We stayed at Devil’s Den State Park and got to visit with a friend of ours too! Overall a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment