Good news, if you read my post last week about my desperate attempt to find some enjoyment in cooking...I can see a few flickers! There are SPARKS!
I haven't acted on them yet, but it's my turn to make dinner tonight, so we will see how it goes.
Meanwhile, the sparks came because this morning I was reading a cookbook I was reviewing, A Kitchen in France: A Year of Cooking in my Farmhouse by Mimi Thorisson and something in how she described food, the dinner hour, family, and how they are all part of having a meal together (and cooing it) made me interested.
I found myself wishing I had a little free time so I could go try the recipe for Madeline's. Of course I didn't have the opportunity this morning and besides, I need a Madeline pan or whatever those are called.
But I wanted to make them.
This is great progress.
I think the most fabulous thing about this cookbook, besides the fact that the recipes sound delicious, is that it is simple but beautiful in its elegant simplicity, much as I imagine the French countryside itself to be. I felt as if I understood what it was like to be there in her kitchen, and I want being in mine to feel that way too. I felt my shoulders relax, the tension leave as I "watched" her life through the pictures that are included. Food. Family. Together. This is life. More than that, this is living.
It's odd to feel any sort of kinship with someone you've never met--who lives across a continent and an ocean--but I do feel as though we are connected--not just to each other because of our similar roles in life, but to the other women from the past through now who cook food for those they love. Those women, Mimi included, have it mastered better than I do for sure. But seeing how she loves it, how her family benefits, makes me eager to try the seasonal recipes, to shop locally and more organically, and to enjoy not just the eating experience surrounded by my family, but the cooking as well.
It seems there is hope for me after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment