When does it finally hit you? The fact that you're a "grown-up" now (although according to Gilmore Girls, "grown-ups" don't use the word "grown-ups"). The fact that you're really, truly an adult.
Not old, mind you, despite my sister's accusations yesterday that I shop at a store that's too "old" for her. (And seriously, is Loft too old for anyone???) If she's reading this--please note, my darling sister, that in four years you'll be the age I am now. Every. Single. Year. So be careful. =)
Back to my subject. Seriously, when does grown-up-hood feel real?
I know I'm an adult. I have a toddler playing in one room and a baby sleeping down the hall. Wait. That's not right. My mind is stuck in last year, apparently. I have a preschooler playing in one room and a toddler sleeping down the hall.
Time sneaks by quickly, whether you're watching for it or not.
I was about to go outside today to watch my son play when he got distracted and ran off to his room to play with trains. My mind had already started working on this subject, fueled by too many rainy, contemplative days lately, and by the smell of the coffee I just brewed.
I keep thinking about what it means to be a grown up. Here's the best I've got so far.
Being a grown up means:
1. Realizing that if anyone in your house is sick, YOU are the one who has the clean it and sanitize it from top to bottom. Sad truth? There is no cleaning fairy. Unless you can hire one. In which case, hire one for me too, okay?
2. It's understanding that the life you kept waiting for, hoping it would "start" soon, has already started. And listen to this, friends, because I know we are all in different places in life. IT HAS STARTED NOW. It has started if you're married. If you're single. If you have kids or not. If you have the job you want or not. THIS is life, right here, right now, this moment that you're wondering what to do with. The moment you may be wishing away. Being a grown-up is realizing this is true and doing something with it.
3. If you have a bad attitude, you need to adjust it yourself. Parents were handy for this when we lived with them. Now it's up to you. And Jesus. And coffee.
4. That if you get behind in something, you have to clean up your mess. This goes for dirty dishes, laundry, or anything else more or less serious. I'm not talking about not letting people help you. If someone offers to bail you out in any of these situations, TAKE the offer. But if not, don't whine about it. Just clean it up. You're an adult now. Being messy isn't cute for an adult like it is for a kid.
5. Wanting friends just as much as you did in high school. That feeling of being a new kid in a room full of people when you need a seat at a social gathering will never go away. Unless you're an extrovert or a perpetual popular kid, and if you are then...I have nothing to say to you. ;) Just kidding. We can still be friends. =)
6. It means taking your relationship with Jesus seriously, for yourself and others. For you, because it matters. For others, because they're watching. And they don't know your heart--your actions are how they'll determine how much this matters to you. As a mom, sometimes this encourages me and I think I'm doing it right. Sometimes it scares me to pieces and I want to fix it.
7. Focusing on someone other than yourself. Invest in relationships. Pray for other people.
8. Taking care of yourself. There's a lot of glory in playing the martyr and running yourself ragged while caring for others. Moms are bad about this. But seriously? It's selfish to think of yourself so highly that you think you don't need this. You do. Don't go out and spend money you don't have on a pedicure or a week at the spa but do SOMETHING to take care of yourself. Have some coffee. Take a nap. Watch a movie. Rest. Relax. Be still and know that HE is God. (Which means being still and knowing that HE is in control. Read: YOU are not in control. Me neither. Letting that sink in...)
9. Means realizing that all the grown-ups you've looked up to for your entire life probably didn't "feel" like adults for a lot of that time either. This includes your parents. Weird, huh?
10. I feel like I don't have a #10 yet. So I think that's #10. Realize there are things you don't know. There are things you're still learning. Be okay with that. Keep learning them.
Anything to add?
I'm off to drink more coffee, play with some trains, and keep pondering. Or maybe stop pondering. That may be enough for one day. =)
I needed this.
ReplyDelete#5 is the one that has gotten me. It's even worse when you move. I always felt bad for my mom because we moved to Georgia when I was 10 and she left all her friends behind. It's been 17 years and I don't think she's recovered yet from that. It really sucks that as you get older, you actually have a more difficult time finding friends than you did when you were in high school. In high school, you're thrust together and it makes it a little easier. This time around, sites like meetup.com are a godsend.
ReplyDeleteOh my...so much goodness in this. So much truth. And Truth. Lots of Jesus, lots of coffee, lots of being the adult we don't feel like it yet. I only recently started to feel like I'm old enough to have kids (yet I've got 4, ages 2-12...and 40 is looming on the horizon).
ReplyDeleteI've also discovered that being a grown up means finally understanding your parents, feeling the pains they must have experienced watching us grow, and learning to let God use it to transform us from the inside out.
#10: When you start feeling like time is just flying by. Every year seems to go by faster than the last, and it's terrifying.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness we serve a God who stays the same every day,every week, every year no matter how much time passes.