Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Get off the interstate, Ben Stone..."

Day 3

Alright, ten points if you can name that movie I quoted in the title. I’ll tell you tomorrow if you got it right.

They say nothing stays the same, that everything changes. Well, here I am, living proof that the saying is wrong. I have recanted in my false beliefs about Oklahoma. I’m pretty much in love with the Osage County area. Nebraska is gorgeous too, much more unique in its beauty than I thought it was. Notice what’s missing in that list?

Yep. Kansas. No offense, Kansas people, but I still don’t like it. Yes, there were some pretty parts of it, I can admit that. The breeze (um, gusting wind?) was nice at our RV park last night. But Kansas as a whole? At least, the part I saw? Yeah….I’m glad to be done with it.

The day started out a little on the sketchy side for me. Josh was asleep and I was hanging out with him so he wouldn’t roll off the bed, which means that I didn’t get a chance to have coffee. That’s right, I started the day today with no coffee. Which is why I was in a grumpy mood for the first little while. Well, that and Kansas.

When we crossed the Nebraska line I felt a little better. When we pulled off the interstate to get gas and discovered Valentino’s pizza? I was a LOT better. That was some of the most amazing pizza I’ve ever had. The tangy tomato sauce, the spicy pepperoni’s, warm crust and gooey cheese…Mmmmm.

We continued our “hey, we’re enjoying the trip” philosophy and decided to get off the interstate in…It’s not Ooompaloopa, Nebraska, but it sounds like it. Checking the map now…Ogalala. That’s it. Actually, I asked John, so if it’s not spelled right, it’s because I didn’t check. Don’t judge. I know I’m an English teacher, but it’s summer, okay? But even on the interstate we saw some pretty scenery. The Platte River (all five zillion crossings of it) was beautiful. Also, if you don’t know, Nebraska has some of the best rest stops in the country. Cute little kid playareas, nice buildings, shady picnic areas, and the two we’ve been to have been on rivers, which makes them scenic. So we stopped at a couple of those and it was nice. I’ve decided I may love the prarie after all. There’s something about the way the wind whooshes through the grass that instantly makes you relax and enjoy being outside in the big, wide open space. I may have changed my mind on the West as a whole. I’m a big fan.

We got of the interstate in that town whose name isn’t Ooompalooma and let me tell you, that was a good move. Since we’re in an RV, we can’t go that fast anyway, which means that on the backroads we don’t lose any speed, but we gain the uniqueness of the little towns and lose the stress of passing 18-wheelers. We saw Lake McConaghy, which was absolutely stunning. It was huge! Plus, everytime we saw it we were looking down through these cool canyon/ravine looking areas. I’m sure there’s a technical name for it, but I don’t know it. The land where we were looks rather flat, but every few minutes we would look to the right and see where it dropped off suddenly, sometimes closer to the road and sometimes out on the horizon.

We’re still in Nebraska now and I’m proud to tell you that I have seen parts of the Oregon Trail! I can’t tell you how many times I played that game as a kid and now I have seen Jailhouse Rock and Courthouse Rock (it looks like a courthouse! Can you even believe it?). AND Chimney Rock, which was obviously amazing. You can see it from much further away than I would have guessed and there was something so surreal about knowing that pioneers came this same way and endured hazards far worse than a lack of coffee (Don’t worry about me, by the way, I got some eventually). I love history, so I love knowing I’m seeing the same things as people did when they traveled this way as pioneers hundreds of years ago. It’s probably the writer in me, but I wonder what their stories were. What were they thinking when they saw Chimney Rock for the first time?

The goal tonight is to get to Guernsey, Wyoming. It’s just past Ft. Laramie, another Oregon Trail landmark. I was really looking forward to being in Wyoming, because I love the scenery there, but Nebraska is just as gorgeous (cannot believe I’m typing that!) so I’m in no hurry to leave, other than wanting to be closer to Alaska.

By the way, there was a definite chill in the air this morning! There’s no better smell in the world (except this smell in Alaska—it’s different, trust me) than a crisp morning. And since it’s supposed to be in the forties or fifties in Guernsey tonight, I am anticipating the opportunity to enjoy that feeling again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment