Friday, June 7, 2013

Incredible Story--Victim of Grace


Robin Jones Gunn has taken her story and the stories of women in the Bible and woven them together in Victim of Grace, a book that gently reminds all of us that God lavishes His grace on us, whether we see it at the time, whether we ask for it, whether we deserve it, or not. It's a beautifully written, honest account of the hard parts in life, the parts so many of us try to keep to ourselves, to brush over and pretend they don't hurt us. Or the parts we use to define us, giving everyone around us too much detail about our struggles, allowing them to define as. As Robin shares her story with us, gently, heart-to-heart, like it was done over a cup of tea, she strikes a perfect balance between the two and is honest without making the struggles the focus of the story. Because the struggles, of course, are not the part we're supposed to focus on.

The element that is supposed to capture our attention is grace. God's grace that rises in our lives like sunshine rising out of the fog, illuminating the grey mist into something beautiful.

This book is part Bible study, part devotional, part auto-biography. I can't think of a woman I know who couldn't benefit from some part of this book. Infused with the Truth of Scripture, and written by a woman whose God-given artistry with words always leaves me a little speechless, this book is a story women need to hear.

4 comments:

  1. What's the name of the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, oh dear. Did I really?

    It's called Victim of Grace.

    Going to edit that post now... =) Thanks Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great book this was, such an inspiration. My husband and I were at a crossroads and I decided to pray for a "Macedonian Call" because Robin tugged at my heart in this book. You will never guess where God called us to go.

    http://lerskin.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/our-macedonian-call/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I'm just seeing this, lerskin! I clicked over and read your blog post--such an awesome story, and yes, that cracks me up that you actually got a MACEDONIAN call. =) I hope things are going well there!

      Delete