And believe it or not, it has nothing to do with the fact
that I love the taste of their coffee.
There are three things that are bothering me about this
latest hate-on-Starbucks campaign. Here they are.
First, I don’t see what boycotting Starbucks is accomplishing.
Yes, they’re pretty pro-gay marriage. I’m not. And if you’re a boycotter, I’m
guessing you’re not either. Let me make
sure you understand where I’m coming from to start with. I believe in marriage as I believe God
defined it in the beginning. One man and one woman. I support that with my
whole heart and will support that in public forums as it seems appropriate to
do so. BUT if you’re a boycotting Christian, is this stance really the one you
want a lost world to notice you making? Because the message they’re receiving
is not that you care about your convictions. The message they see is that this
issue is so above-all-else-important to you that you hate those who disagree
with you. You want their businesses to suffer for the fact that they disagree.
And while I don’t think it’s what you mean, people who agree
with Starbucks’ stance may think you hate them to. And that you think God hates
them.
You don’t. At least, I hope not. He certainly doesn’t. So
why would you risk sending that message?
Second, what is refusing to drink their coffee
accomplishing? You’re trying to lessen their profits, right? It’s a “we’ll show
them!” mentality. How is that appropriate as a Christian?
If you genuinely have a conviction against giving them your
money when they support causes you disagree with, that’s fine. But please, be
consistent and boycott Every. Single. Company. whose values are not in line
with yours. Research them all. If you want to do that, by all means. That’s
truly your choice and if that’s what you need to do, feel free. But don’t tell
me it’s not okay to drink Starbucks and then turn around and support another
company who’s less public in the causes they support that you disagree with,
but that supports them nonetheless.
Third, as far as I can tell, the not-so-cutesy little photos
going around facebook telling you to stop going to Starbucks are nothing more
than gossip. Did you research that photo before you shared it? Or did you just
think about the 85 likes you were going to get from fellow Starbucks-hating
friends and not bother to fact check? According to my research, the CEO of
Starbucks said something in the context of a meeting that made perfect sense.
Someone pointed out that revenue dropped when they supported gay marriage. The
CEO said if you don’t like it, feel free to invest somewhere else.
End of story. Anti-climactic, right? Nowhere did he say that
if you’re anti-gay marriage, he doesn’t want your business. Isn’t that what the
picture you’re sharing says? Turns out maybe that picture is a bit of
self-righteous “telephone-telephone” gone wrong.
Think before you jump on the next bandwagon. That’s all I’m
asking. Think, and pray.
Good post, Sarah! You're right - I read the CEO of Starbuck's REAL words and he has been pretty misquoted. I've been super disappointed to see how big-time Christian companies are twisting his quote into something he did not mean to say. (He is still pro-gay.)I just figure to leave a gospel tract every time I go. :) It does more good than staying away! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Alicia! Exactly--the misquoting bothered me. And good for you for finding ways to try to advance the gospel instead of just not going. =)
ReplyDeleteI'm visiting your blog from the winning pitches thread (congrats on your book, by the way)...I love this post, I wrote a similar one last week as well. I especially hate to see Christians purposely misquote something to suit their purpose.
ReplyDeleteI agree 100%. Sorry I'm so late with this, I just found your blog and well... you know. It amazes me how people jump on the bandwagon about stuff like this. It's silly. I have a friend who does the whole thing about actually researching things before she supports them. She doesn't eat chocolate because of the slave trade and I admire her for it because I KNOW that it's a personal conviction and not a bandwagon decision. Also, she doesn't broadcast her decisions to make a point. She won't mention it unless you ask and I think that's commendable.
ReplyDelete